Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Etched Snow Dome

Hi Everyone!

Here I am with another etchall® project for you.  I wanted to create a glass-enclosed snow scene.  I've seen so many cute ones with canning jars, wine glasses and fish bowls.  So, I went in search of glass at my local Goodwill store and found the perfect thing.  It's a dome originally intended for cheese and probably fit into a cutting board.  There's a lot of space underneath to create a little scene with ornaments or your favorite holiday decorations.



To start, I punched two different sizes of snowflakes with my Fiskars punches.  I used some adhesive shelf liner for the stencils because it punched easily.  I stuck these to the top of the dome and smoothed them down with my fingernail.

I applied the etchall® etching creme with the tip of a bamboo skewer and let it work for 15 minutes.  Then, I carefully scraped the excess off the stencils and put it back in the jar.  I rinsed the dome under running water and then removed the stencils.



I etched more snowflakes below these on the sides of the dome also, so I have the effect of snowflakes falling down from the top.  You can see them in the photo below.  I also wanted some snow banks around the bottom edge so I added creme randomly around the bottom with the end of a spoon.  You don't have to be exact with this.  As on the previous step, I scraped the excess back into the jar after it was done etching - it's re-usable! 


Now, find some of your favorite decorations - a group of ball ornaments, some little snowmen or a manger scene will fit under the dome and create the perfect focal on your holiday table.  Or, change the scene from week to week as you go through the winter season.

Here's my Snow Dome with a cardinal figurine under it.
Snow Dome

And, here it is with a little snow scene with a snowman and brush trees.

Snow Dome

Ready to try etchall® etching creme?  Head to etchall® and use my code TERRYR for 10% off your purchase!

Thanks for stopping by,
Terry


No comments:

Post a Comment